Monday, March 31, 2008

Beware the happy child!

Emily's teacher came over for their regularly scheduled session. I should have known something was wrong when Emily calmly let her teacher sing to her. (Emily cannot stand to hear anyone sing a Capella, but she can tolerate music and radio songs, etc. Just oddness. LOL!) Shortly after her teacher left, she spiked a fever. Due to the fact that Emily has been asleep all day, things have been pretty peaceful in our household!
=oP

Thankfully, Emily already had a well-child checkup scheduled for this afternoon, and she is on antibiotics now. Her throat looks like raw hamburger. She must have had this brewing for a while, but she doesn't seem to register pain until it is at terrible levels. This can be a blessing and a curse. As for the checkup, I don't know what to make of it. When the pedi asked if I had any developmental concerns, I explained Emily's diagnosis, and the subject was dropped. I don't know if that was because she has been to a developmental pedi or if it means this practice doesn't want to be bothered with the developmental stuff.

I think I was spoiled rotten by our pedi back home who actually carved out a block of time to discuss everything from potty training to tantrums to health concerns during a well child checkup. I just want a front-line physician here who will take the time to help me sort all this out and offer regular advice on my kids' development. They get sicker than most kids, so we are in the office a lot, and it would be wonderful if their pedi cared enough to get to know them.

No comments: