Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Today was a complete rollercoaster. Emily was supposed to be evaluated for the autism program through the school district today. The social worker didn't show up, so this entailed the school psychologist observing her in the gross motor room--Emily's favorite place in the whole world. The three comments that the psychologist made other than questions were, "Her eye contact is great," "That's great, she let you know her sock was bothering her," and "Well, I definitely wouldn't pick her out of crowd."

Emily really did a beautiful job in the gross motor room. She was smiling and happy, used her words, waited somewhat patiently. It was hard to be so proud of her and yet so frustrated at the same time! If the psychologist had only observed her in the group-sing part or as she transitioned from something fun to something that required her to do something that was difficult or new! In the gym, it was melt-down after melt-down, then I was supposed to leave to attend a meeting with the district people. No one was paying attention to Emily, and I was afraid to leave her. I finally got the PT's attention and showed her where Emily was playing--all by herself. The aunt of one of the kids was in the meeting being a complete pain in the rear--"Well, he doesn't do XYZ, but that doesn't mean he is autistic." I passed this woman and the director of the autism program in the hall, and the director was saying, "He is very aloof, and this is a red flag..." That bothered me. The kid's parents were in there too, and they didn't say a word.

So, we left. Another week gone and still no closer to a placement. I had a bad feeling going in to today's events, and a worse one after.

On a positive note, Alex had his follow-up visit with the dev pedi. I am so pleased with the progress Alex has made lately! The secretary (wonderful woman!) also told me about another resource for the play therapy that is free to residents of our county! I made a call, and I have an appointment next week to see what we can do. If this goes through, it will be such a relief because I can use the training I get for both Emily and Alex.

Alex started therapuetic listening today. His OT said he loved it, and she wants to see how he does with it a few more times in the clinic before she starts him on a home program. I read the study she gave me, and the whole program looks so promising.

But, now I am sitting here trying to digest all this information and emotion, and I am feeling overwhelmed and alone again.

No comments: