Thursday, April 03, 2008

Update

I spoke with the psy today. She told me she would have the social worker review Em's info because they were together today, and call me back. She called back less than 30 mins later and said that they saw "autistic tendencies" in Emily, but not enough to place her in the autism program. She said that she observed her playing "tea party" and appropriately interacting with her classmates. I really think she was observing some other child. Then she said that our doctor had diagnosed Emily as PDD-NOS, not autism. I corrected her that he wrote that she was diagnosed with high functioning autism bordering on PDD-NOS. "Oh, I must have misread that," was her reply. Yeah. Take 5 minutes to look at all that information and I'm not surprised she got it wrong. But, whatever. She discussed the CARS--we rated her as a 33, and her teacher rated her as a 23. Then she said that she and the social worker discussed this and they thought we should place Emily in the special education preschool and reevaluate for the autism program next year. I explained that we have been down this road before with Alex and that I would rather err on the side of caution, enroll Emily in the autism program now, and reevaluate for the special education program later. I know there is an opening in the program, so it is just a matter of getting her in there. She is going to talk to the director of the autism program and get back to me.

Why does all of this have to be such a fight?

No comments: