Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Today was "Picture Wednesday!" Alex loves taking pictures with the digital camera, so for table time, we took pictures of him outside and pictures of him taking pictures. He thought that was the best thing in the world. Then we came inside and printed four of the pictures for his very own "picture book." This will be the Mayflower Academy yearbook. (I got him an 8.5x11 Creative Memories album last night to use as his picture book. We will add his craft/art projects and progress reports to the pictures throughout the year.) For craft time, he helped me crop the pictures and paste them on the cover page. He wrote his name and placed the title. We also did our usual--counting, sorting, practice writing, etc. For story time, we used the LeapPad and listened to/played with the Nemo cartridge. Just after 11am, we took Emily out for a walk. We met up with our neighbor and her two children and had a great "nature" walk. Alex, of course, still had his camera, and he took pictures of a squirrel and a yellow leaf. I will try to upload them sometime today.

Today I think I learned more than I taught. Alex was trying to pull a piece of tape off the dispenser, and he was struggling with it. I automatically reached over to help, and he said, "Let me do it." I realized that he tells me that many times a day. In order to teach him to be independent, I MUST LET GO! Oh, that is going to be a hard lesson for me! Later as we were working on Alex's picture book, I got into hyper-scrap mode. I actually caught myself redoing the page after Alex finished it. So what if the "Y" in Mayflower was upside down? It was Alex's effort, not mine, and he was happy with it. I don't want Alex to ever think that his best is never good enough for me. As long as he tries his hardest and does his best, it will be perfect in my eyes.

No comments: