Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Day Two started with an unexpected experiment. I forgot to give Alex his clonidine this morning. This was an eye-opener, and I will not forget to give it to him again. We were in the middle of practicing writing, and he could not sit still for long. I'm glad this experiment happened so that I could see the effect of the ADHD on his ability to learn. He was happy and cooperative, but he just could not stay on task. Of course his new electric pencil sharpener had something to do with it as well!

Still, we followed the same routine as yesterday: pledge, pray, table time (SpongeBob Playdoh today!), then downstairs for writing practice, review of memory verse and personal information. We listened to a CD and had a Music and Movement session to Alex's favorite song, "Going on a Bear Hunt." When he asked to sort his multi-colored counting beads, I was surprised because yesterday he resisted this exercise. He grouped the beads by color, adn then I asked him to count each set as he put them back in the container. He looked at each set, counted them by just LOOKING at them, then counted backwards as he put them away! I was thrilled! I had no idea he could do this! Then we did our picture craft on "light" and "dark." Our last exercise downstairs was a workbook page on A,B,C. By this time I had pretty much lost Alex's attention entirely. We came back upstairs for story time--Dr Suess's "Hop On Pop." Alex sat nicely for the story.

I got up late today, so I have not had my quiet time yet. I stayed up late working on a school project of my own, so I did not get enough sleep. This basically wrecked my morning routine because all three kids got up when I did. I had to rush with Laura, and she was having a rough morning already. This is a great lesson for me to #1--stop procrastinating on my own school work and #2--get up early even if I am tired! =0)

No comments: