Monday, February 11, 2008

Day 1 with the new curriculum:

We had a rough start. =o)

Alex wanted to blow through everything to get to the "prize box." (I made up a sticker chart for Alex to use as a schedule of daily events. As he finishes a task, he gets to put a sticker in that space. When he is finished for the day and gets all of his stickers, he gets to choose a small toy or a piece of candy.) I finally stopped the lesson and sat there. I told him calmly that I had all day, and I would sit there until he was ready to continue. Much to my relief, he did great after that.

I started Alex on cursive writing today. It was agonizing. However, I'm committing to this plan for 2 weeks. If at the end of those 2 weeks he is still as frustrated as he was today, I am going to switch back to manuscript. I feel that cursive may actually help him because he will not need to pick up his pencil as much and the letters b,d,p, and q are uniquely different. Time will tell, and I am not that concerned that Alex was resistant--he is resistant to anything new. I'm guessing that by Friday, he will be okay at least.

We worked on phonics, starting with the vowel sounds. He is still confusing I and E, so I am glad this curriculum is starting with these two letters. Then we did writing, math, poetry, and reading. This week is abreviated in the system, and next week we will add reading, seatwork (independent work), and activity time (science, art, or social studies). Alex seems to like the materials--they are fun and colorful. What a difference from the black and white sheets he was bringing home from school. Just adding color really appeals to him!

It is sunny today but COLD! Alex really wanted to go outside to play on his scooter, so we bundled up and braved the cold while we waited for Laura to get home. We've been missing the outdoors because of all the snow, and we had a frosty good time out there. (To illustrate how cold it really is here, today is trash day. The trash bags froze inside the trash containers, and the garbage guys couldn't get them out.)

No comments: