Monday, June 02, 2008

I'm giving up.

Emily's IEP meeting was anything but individualized. I didn't sign it. I contacted the dev pedi's office and their advocate called me several days later. She basically told me she could observe Emily at school, but that was about it. She would not get into anything legal, so no due process or mediation meetings. So, in simpler terms, she wasted my time. I called the AI director to ask her what happened with her plans to create an "Emily program" because what was on that piece of crap IEP had nothing to do with helping Emily with her specific issues. She passed the buck to the school director who finally called me today. She did tell me that they will re-evaluate Emily in October after they have had a chance to get to know her. Whatever. I can take them to court and waste more time and money, or I can go the private route and get her therapy that will actually make a difference. Getting this worked up about it just makes it harder to be the parent that I need to be. Last week was a fabulous week with Emily. I feel like we really connected. I can't even describe how wonderful those 4 days were. It was balm for my heart.

The downside, and I think it is funny in an ironic sort of way, Jason and I were talking about how wonderful the last few days with Emily had been. I half-jokingly said, "I bet she's getting sick." Dangit--I hate being right all the time. Emily spiked a fever on Friday morning, and she has been baking at 103-104 ever since. She is now constipated and feeling wretched. She has not slept more than an hour at a time in the last 3 nights. I am like the walking dead, existing on coffee and brownies. Beware the sleep-deprived, pmsing, uber-crank hopped up on caffeine and sugar!

She had bloodwork today that looked relatively good, but we are still waiting on the final mono answer and her lead levels. The dr wants us to rule out any hearing issues as well. Adding a trip to the ENT to my mega to-do list for this week. Hopefully the next time I remember to blog I will be back to my usual Susy Sunshine self.

No comments: